Increasingly important at weddings, the photographer captures moments and beautifully shapes them into art. This is how wedding memories are created, available throughout your life if you know how to choose. Pay attention to these five steps to get the photographer’s decision right.
Step 1. Define style and budget
First of all, you have to get to know each other and know what style best suits your way of being, thinking, feeling … Only then, your wedding photographs can reflect what you want on that important day.
- Traditional, photojournalism, natural … which one do you identify with?
If you do not know what styles exist, it is important to know that nowadays photojournalism is very popular, that is, photographing while telling a story, without poses, with different shots and capturing unique expressions. It is closely related to artistic photography, traditionally in the context of political scenarios or wars. It is like a report that is made at street level, with camera in hand and pulling spontaneity, but with the wrapping of the wedding cut. It is narrating life.
The most natural photographs also stand out, very similar to those found in photojournalism, but with compositions worked out beforehand and focusing even more on the gestures that arise from improvisation. On the other hand, traditional photography, with the usual poses and greater organization, also continues to triumph.
- How much budget are you going to dedicate to the photographer. (10%)
- It is important that you know the budget for each part of the wedding. In particular, the photographer deserves a good outlay, as they are increasingly valued and sought after. After all, they are responsible for capturing the memories of one of the great days of your life. Therefore, we recommend that 10% of your budget goes to these professionals.
Step 2. Searching
Start well in advance. As with venues, photographers are known to all grooms and the best tend to fly quickly. You already know the style you want for your photographic report, so narrow the search field and start a year in advance if you get married in high season, or at least six months if you are going to do it in low season.
- Zankyou Directory and visit their websites.
To facilitate your search, Zankyou has an extensive directory with a magnificent compendium of professionals. Lean on the inspirational articles that feed the Magazine and focus on the photographers that satisfy you the most. In each of the files, you have direct access to the web that reflects all its material.
- Check their previous work, ask for opinions, recommendations.
The files and websites of these professionals are full of previous work, that is, weddings, pre-weddings, trash the dress and other inspiration sessions to familiarize yourself with the art of the photographer. Opinions appear there, but it is worth contacting boyfriends who have worked with them and looking for recommendations on specialized websites. The KeisyandRocky team assures that it is of great importance to have someone who inspires confidence in you: “It is important to make a good choice of the photographer, to choose someone professionally, someone with quality, someone who knows how to capture all the moments”.
- Create a list of finalists
When you have a few selected, put them on a list and start ruling out strong opponents. Compare works, nuance the styles of each one and try to know those responsible for the study from a distance. Maybe your doubts will be solved.
Step 3. Personal interview
Schedule interviews to meet them in person. You have to value the connection with them, since they will be present at all times and you cannot feel uncomfortable; you must know their ideas in person, in case they really fit with your personality; and do not forget to observe their work in their hands to seek explanations about how they have faced each of their photographs, each of their challenges.
- Prepare questions with doubts and suggestions.
When choosing a photographer, you can have no doubts. Therefore, prepare a pile of questions to know how I would act on your big day. According to the answers, you can bring a series of suggestions to check its flexibility, as long as the professionals maintain their style and modus operandi.
- Do you feel comfortable with him / her? Is there a feeling?
You should not only value their work. They are nice? What level of ego do they have? Are they open to change? Do you connect? Take into account the answer to all these questions before opting for one or the other. When the big time comes, no more questions and suggestions; They rule and you will have to give them freedom while you are engrossed in the emotions of the big day. If there really is a connection, photographers will know what moments to capture. “A good photographer must know how to tell dreams, have emotion, attention, inspiration …”, point out the If Photographers experts, so choose the team that feels passion for their work because only then will you know that that same passion will be put in the photos of your big day.
Step 4. Decision
You feel identified with his style of photography. Is it what you were looking for? If the work shown has to do with your initial idea, you have a long way to go. In this way, the photographs will come out on their own, since you will speak the same language and everything will be familiar or, at best, surprising (in a good sense of the word). Crazy Love Shots, wedding and family photographer, is clear about it, the important thing about a photographer’s job is “to show that weddings can be original, daring and surprising,” he explains, and that “in 20 or 30 years when your children look at the photo album and say ‘how my parents love each other and how well they have a good time together’, that’s the intention ”, he confesses.
- Find out about their experience as a wedding photographer. How many weddings does your potential photographer carry on his back? His years in the world are important, because it is easier to ensure results. However, do not distrust professionals who do not have too many weddings. As you know, for everyone there are beginnings and, on many occasions, the freshness of the new ones cancels out many shortcomings. In this sense, the result can be impressive. Assess what you prefer on your big day.
- Ask for recommendations and references. When you have few options to choose from, ask again for recommendations, albeit in a more comprehensive way. Try to get others to corroborate your good feelings and do not get carried away only by your emotion.
- What equipment do you have and if you have an assistant to help you. If you know something about photography, it would help you to inform yourself about the equipment and build an opinion on the possible results. Although art comes from the artist, the medium he uses, especially photography, can be essential. And, if you don’t know about cameras, write down the model of your material and look for information to ensure quality.
On the other hand, it collects information about your equipment in general, since sometimes a certain production is needed to capture some photographs. It is positive that you know in detail everything that surrounds the photographer, also if he needs an assistant and, if it is the case, know how he is. Remember that for a wedding of more than 50 people, two or more photographers are usually used.
One point to take into account is the ability to learn and renew, the KunyDiamond photographers explain: “You must learn new techniques and renew yourself from time to time, always be aware of new trends. A good photographer must know how to treat all types of public and also adapt to all situations, both photographically and personally ”.
Step 5. Conditions and contract
- What the price includes: attendees, post-production. Try to close this part keeping everything clear. Sometimes there are extras that derail initial ideas and it’s best to know everything beforehand. Anything that inflates the price, both on location and in the post-production room, should be detailed. There is nothing like a professional who loves what he does, because then it will not be a job, it will be a passion with which he makes a living. This is the advice offered by Rubén Mejías, for which it is important that a photographer love what he does, enjoy it and always want something more from each wedding. As Rubén Mejías himself says, “money is important, but more important is the quality of these memories.”
- How many hours your service includes. You must know how long they will work, their price per hour or per service and the time they will spend editing the photos. All this is relevant to establish a final price.
- How it works at weddings From the assembly to the execution of the photographs, it is necessary to know in advance everything that surrounds the work of a photographer. He must explain to you how he usually moves, if he talks to boyfriends or guests, if he is totally independent, if he dedicates a part to natural photography and another to traditional photography … In this way, everyone involved will know how to act with them.
- How to receive the photos: what format and resolution, how many photos, how long do they take.
Delivery times are essential to know when you can enjoy the photos. However, the work is laborious and those times change depending on the professional. It can vary between two months and a year, so it would not hurt to know before hiring the photographer. On the other hand, it spells out the delivery format, resolution, quantity and copies.
- Everything must be in writing in a contract. To finish the photographer section, everything you agree on must be reflected in a written contract. At that time everything will be binding and you can take action in the event that the objective is not met. Close everything and avoid surprises!
Don’t miss this video with the most practical tips that will help you choose the perfect photographer.